Easy Paleo(ish) Weeknight Dinner: Sweet Slow Cooker Pork Roast with Apples and Onions

It’s about time for a real recipe, don’t you think?

We’re back to planning meals in our household. Sort of. Here’s a window into our meal-planning process:

Tim: We have to make that pork roast I bought last week or it’ll go bad.
Me: Ugh. Okay. I don’t even know what to put with it. How many pounds?
Tim: 4 or 5.
Me: So… slow cooker…
Tim: Yea. What do we have?
Me: I dunno. Apples, onions, garlic…
Tim: Sounds good.

So, then, I hit up Pinterest, find some ideas, adjust them for what we have already because, as I’ve stated before, I do not want to take my pregnant self to the store, and make something that I hope will be edible. 75% of the time, it turns out OK. The other 25% of the time, we grab a burger or pizza. Super healthy, I know. Whatever – that’s close enough to the Paleo 80/20 rule that I’m comfortable with it.

Anyway, that’s exactly what happened yesterday. And, believe it or not, our pork roast turned out so deliciously awesome that I didn’t even get a picture of it until after we packed away the leftovers because we were so into eating it that I forgot to take a picture.

Seriously. Yum.

You could probably use this dry rub on any kind of meat, and it’s Paleo as long as you’re comfortable with eating brown sugar. If not, try a honey or maple syrup glaze with these spices instead. But, if you’re OK eating honey or maple syrup, I’m not really sure what’s keeping you from a few tablespoons of brown sugar… to each his or her own, I guess.

We discarded the apple and onion pieces and just ate the meat. You can eat them if you want, I guess, but they’ll be pretty mushy. They just add liquid and awesome flavor.


Sweet Slow Cooker Pork Roast with Apples and Onions
Serves 4-6

Ingredients for dry rub:
-5 tbs brown sugar
-1 tbs paprika
-1 tsp chili powder
-1 tsp cumin
-1 tsp cinnamon
-Dash of nutmegĀ 

Ingredients for meal:
-dry rub (ingredients listed above)
-4-5 pound pork shoulder or tenderloin roast
-1 tart, green apple, sliced into thin wedges
-1/2 onion, sliced into half circles
-3-4 cloves of garlic, minced

1. Mix all the ingredients for the dry rub together in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Place roast in slow cooker. Rub dry rub all over the meat, making sure to get all sides covered.
3. Sprinkle minced garlic over the meat.
4. Place apple and onion pieces around and on top of the meat.
5. Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8-10 hours (or until meat reaches an appropriate internal temperature).
6. Serve warm and enjoy!